Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lalitha Sahasranamam - what is religion to me?


Long time back, a neighbor in NH who did 'Lalitha Sahasranama' pooja regularly inviting friends asked me if I could write the 'lalitha sahasranamam' in Tamil (transliterated) for her so that her Tamil guests could read. I wanted to but it was not so quick to write, then we moved and the project never took off...but always in mind as a promise to God not fulfilled...

Now, about being religious...I have never been religious in following religion. Unfortunately, I get practical and flexible when it comes to rules (bhayamum bhathiyum manasaila iruntha pothumnu) ...But most of us have grown up quite religiously in India ; especially for me it was hard to ignore God; we were surrounded by 10 temples within a quarter km radius (yes km) - Ilangom Sreedevi temple, Kazhugu Maadan thampuraan, Ujjaini Maakaali amman, Mutharamman, D.B.st. Pillayaar, Krishnan kovil, Shivan kovil, Sharadaambika madam, the river bank Subramanya kshethram and Shaasthaankovil - actually 11 a resurrected small hanuman temple. Before any exam, Ilangon, maadan, ujjaini and mutharamma were all paid their due respect. I even used to follow the local custom of getting the pen blessed from Ilangathu (pena pujicchu kondu pogum) before the exam. And then there were visits to the native temples to fulfill any 'venduthals' and annual functions and religious commitments.

I feel religion must have started as a means to bring in justice - to instill the fear in people to do wrong....may be that is why people rely more on the'God fearing ' people! Even with all the scientific reasoning, religion inculcates several good habits in us - daily prayer which demands personal hygiene and cleanliness of the house; gets us organized and disciplined. Of course, the faith in something builds 'Hope & Confidence'. It comforts me when I feel desperate - makes me believe that God has a plan.

Okay that said about the background, let us come to my experience with Lalitha Sahasranamam. In Elangom Sreedevi temple, every Pournami evening a vilakku poojai used to be conducted in which the Lalitha sahasranamaavali was recited in the manthra form as an arachana. My mother and I used to get 'anjuroopaikku thaamara ilaiyil pothunju kettiya aralippovvu" each - now it is only carry bags (in fact they have switched from flower archana to Kungkuma archana for the vilakku pooja for convenience). So each 'naamaa' will be preceded by 'oam' and succeeded by namaha. For eg. sri maathaa becomes Oam sri maathre namaha. There used to be just around 10 - 15 people - started at 5 PM- the lead would start with some slokas ( most of the days either I would have delayed my mother or my mother would have delayed me and always reached only after that!). Initially, we used to repeat each naamam after the lead ...but later on, it was all together. The initial ones were the toughest to pronounce - I had a sigh of releief after those were done! The conductor asked us to just say 'devyai namaha' if we cannot pronounce something instead of saying it wrong. But I think if we do that we will never learn - Devi will pardon mistakes if we are actually trying to do it better. Eventually, it comes ...the easy ones are really easy. Because most 'Hindu' girl names come from here named after Devi!

But in the last 12 years, I have read only the stothram form that too once in a long time. Any recital/song is best pronounced of course in the language it was wrtitten in. But then if we cannot read a language, it is important that we have the right transcript.
It is a bit tricky to have a good transliteration for Lalitha Sahasranamam in Tamil. Unlike Malayalam/Telugu, we do not have all the sounds equivalent in Tamil or English. But then I personally feel it is easier to read a script in any language with words that we usually read in the language instead of using symbols/dashes/caps to indicate short and long vowels etc. especially because it becomes difficult to decipher while trying to read the already difficult words! Going by that, I have created a Tamil and an English tranliteration for the Lalitha Sahasranamam doing my best justificaton to pronunciation and easy reading ( it was really difficult to decide sometimes which letter to go with :)).

This is a dedication to my mother and other friends who find it easier to read in Tamil. Hoping they would find it useful, here are the links to the 'Recite alongs' I have created for the same and uploaded in Youtube.
Lalitha Sahasranamam with Tamil Lyrics - Part 1
Lalitha Sahasranamam with Tamil Lyrics -Part 2
Lalitha Sahasranamam with Tamil Lyrics -Part 3
This has taken more than a month starting over every time there was a mistake - too many dependencies - good health, right Tamil typing, right mixing and proper uploading ! Somehow completed finally. Enjoy reading and get the blessings of Devi.

No comments:

Post a Comment