Sunday, October 30, 2011

A nested treasure box - Balamuralikrishna's sri rama namam



I was searching for one of my favorite songs 'sree rama namam' from the movie 'Naaraayam' but hit another sri rama namam. The rhythm was so catchy that I was glad I hit the wrong one. The thaalam was so simple that even 'thaalam unaware' people like me can grasp! All words were right on the beat.
Heard 'speed kurayaruthu' in between and realized he is a malayalee. I read a few comments and saw the singer is Prince Rama Varma, a descendant of Swathi Thirunnal from Trivandrum. Remembered my paattu maami mentioning his name when she told about her 80 year old friend parasshaala ponnammaal - she was honored to be the first lady to sing in the Narathri Mandapam in Padmanabhaswamy temple.
It was like opening a nested treasure box ; as each box openend, there was an interesting fact unveiled. Went through a couple more comments and found that the music to this song was composed by Dr.Balamuralikrishna who most of us know only as a great singer and that Rama Varma is his favorite student.
Went through Rama Varma's article 'Murali and me' in here . Felt so excited to know so much more about Balamurali Krishna . Though I knew him as a very famous singer, I have heard him only through 'Bharatham' as the singer for Nedumudi venu and in Mile Sur Mera thumhara. Then I saw Ramavarma(musique4ever) has uploaded the same song sung by Dr.Balamurali Krishna himself. I immediately became a fan - such a bold voice with a nice smile all the time while singing.
In general, I can enjoy the swarams, the fast pieces in a carnatic kacheri but never the ragams etc. so much. But Prince Rama Varma's contribution is an inspiration to learn more carnatic or at least listen to more carnatic music so that I can appreciate the great art better.
Enjoy my attempt of 'Sri Rama Namam' presented in this you tube video.

Sri Rama Namam with Lyrics

p.s. Thanks to my Telugu friends for helping me with the meaning.

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Hope you would attend his(Rama Varma Sir's) live concert in near future. I was in tears with happyness when I attended his concert first time. That was such a great experience I can never forget in my life.

    Thanks
    Santhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. No, wish I could attend in the future. Cant stop listening to his deva deva kalayami on youtube - too good with the excellent support esp. the violin. I feel the same way as you do.
    Thanks,
    Shanthi (see your namesake :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally it happened ! :) Yes I did attended his concert last week and it was just beautiful to listen to Deva Deva in person!

    ReplyDelete